Pomodoro Technique With Pinoo
Purpose of the Project: To create a reminder box project to use POMODORO technique with led module, buzzer module and button module using the Pinoo control card.
Duration: 2 lessons
Age Group: 7 years and older
Set Used: Pinoo Basic Set
• Recognizes the Pinoo control card.
• Learns to code Pinoo control card.
• Learns to code the buzzer module.
• Learns to code the LED module.
• Learns to use the button module.
• Improves the skill of setting up algorithms.
• Improves coding skill.
• Design skill develops.
Materials to be Used: Mblock 3 program, Pinoo control card, Button modüle, Red led modüle, Yellow led modüle, Green led modüle, Buzzer modüle, Connection cables, Stationery
Materials Required for Design: Silicone gun - Scissors - Utility knife - Ruler - Forex - Felt crayons - Color cardboard (can be any color you want, I used bright green)
1. First of all, we will create a box. For the box, we draw two (25cmx14cm) large rectangles (for the lower floor and the upper ceiling) and two smaller (25cmx10cm) rectangles (for the front and back) from forex cardboard. We cut rectangles with the help of a knife.
2. We drill 3 holes for the lights of the pomodoro into the rectangle we cut for the front of the box. Then we visualize the working mode, short break and long break according to the color of the lights with the help of a felt-tip pen.
3. For the top of the box, we cut and paste the letters POMODORO with colored cardboard on the large rectangle we cut.
4. With the help of a silicone gun, we connect the front part that we drill with our bottom base.
5. Let's connect the sensors and modules to the Pinoo card at this stage in order to make the connection between the Pinoo card and the sensors more easily with the connection cable
* Green led = purple door number 1
* Yellow led = purple door number 2
* Red led = purple door number 3
* Buzzer module = door number 5
* Button module = door number 6
6. Now we place our Pinoo board on the base and our leds in the holes with the help of silicon. Then we close the back of our back box with the help of silicone. The order of the LEDs should be GREEN- YELLOW- RED.
6. We cover the upper part of our box (with the text POMODORA) with cardboard with the help of silicone.
7. With the button on the side, we fix the buzzer inside the box with the help of silicone. We stick the button on the upper part of the box from the inside to the base part of the box so that the buzzer remains on the inside.
8. We have completed the connections and the design, now we go to the coding part. We will use Mblock-3 application for this.
9. We connect our Pinoo control card to the computer with the help of a connection cable and enter the Mblock3 application. Then we introduce our Pinoo control card to the computer. For this, we first click on the serial port option from the Connect tab. Then we choose COM3. (The number may differ depending on the computer and the port.)
10. After making the serial port connection, we select the card to be used from the Cards tab. We are working with Arduino Nano model.
11. In order to add Pinoo extension to our computer, we click on Manage Extensions option from Extensions tab. In the window that opens, we type "Pinoo" into the search engine and simply say ‘download to the result’. It was installed on our computer.
12. We come to the Extensions tab again and click on the Pinoo option. We will write our codes with the Pinoo extension.
13. Come to the ‘Connect Again’ tab and click on the ‘Firmware Update’ option. After saying the installation is finished, we click the ‘Close’ button..
14. In the coding part; To start the application, we get the code when clicking the Green Flag from the Events menu.
17. According to the Pomodoro technique, the green led should remain on for 25 minutes. We use it as 25 seconds to check if our project is running in a shorter time. If the project runs properly, it is set to 25 minutes.
18. Now, after waiting 25 seconds for a short break, the green led pin pinoo 1 should go out and the yellow led should turn on. The red led pin pinoo3 should still be off. We only light the yellow led pin pinoo 2.
19. Short break in Pomodoro technique is 5 minutes. The yellow led represents the short break. That's why we have to wait 5 minutes with 5 yellow LEDs on. Again we use seconds to check if the project is running
20. 25 minutes of lesson in Pomodoro technique- 5 minutes of short break is repeated 4 times and we can gain 30 minutes of long break. So we put the above code in a repeat loop 4 times.
21. After the 4-time cycle, we are now entitled to a long break. After the cycle is over, we light the red led pin pinoo 3 representing the long break (HIGH). We turn out other green led pin pinoo2 and yellow led pin pinoo3. (LOW)
** (We're writing this code outside of the loop.)
22. It takes 30 minutes for the Long Break. The red LED does not stay on for 30 minutes. Again, we use seconds to test our project in a shorter time.
23. Now when the long break is over, ie 30 minutes later, we turn off the Red led pin pinoo 3.(LOW)
24. We may not see that the long break is over. We may be in other rooms during long breaks, so we give an audible warning with a buzzer. We are making the buzzer pin pinoo6 status HIGH. We do it (LOW) to silence the buzzer after waiting 5 seconds so that the buzzer does not ring forever..
25. Finally, in order to use the Pomodoro reminder box continuously, we include all the lines of code in the CONTINUOUS REPEAT block.
27. Right click on the code and click the Upload to Arduino option. (We work with Arduino as a card.
28. In the window that opens, we click the Upload to Arduino button again.
29. We are waiting while our codes are being loaded to the card. After saying the installation is finished, we click on the ‘close’ button.
30. If there is no problem, we disconnect our power cable from the computer. We power our Pinoo control board with the help of a 9v battery and a battery cap. We also turn the ON/OFF button right next to the battery input to the ON position..
Final State of the Project;
We can start the Pomodoro timer whenever we want with the button inside.